Monday, May 4, 2020

Tantra Zawadi | Green Is My Favorite Color

Central Park

A blanket of green
Surrounded by black asphalt
Embracing the light

Everybody’s Money

From hand to purse
Dollar bills move in the night
Green no matter what

Queen

Her aura lengthens
Green stems bend and swerve to see
A Queen in their midst

Leaves

I don’t want to move
Lord knows I don’t want to stay
Collard greens and you

Grand Exit

He left at sunrise
Rocking his worn out green cap
His loyalty rides

The Path

Heavy and layered
The weight of your past presents
Miles of greens to cross

Sunday Best

My favorite coat
Homemade lime green swing knee length
From my mother’s hands

Stirring

So I made them soup
Filled with green split peas and beans
Stirred with mother’s love

Silent Green

Looking from the sky
Stretches of green stun my eyes
And nobody knows

Grandson’s Hands

He reached for a twig
Used it to cut grandma’s greens
Strong like her cooking

My Garden

My sweet green garden
Perfumes the air with color
They speak in real life

Reveal

Back when I was young
I made some green promises
Most I truly meant

_________________________________________


Tantra-zawadi, Brooklyn born, international performance poet, is the author of three books of poetry, alifepoeminprogress (Chuma Spirit Books), Gathered at Her Sky and Bubbles: One Conscious Breath (Poets Wear Prada). She is a passionate educator, recording artist, and instigator with The Senegal-America Project, and a 2020 Brooklyn Arts Fund grantee! To learn more, or to hear her latest house music releases, please visit https://www.traxsource.com/artist/29323/tantra-zawadi or http://tantrazawadi.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment