Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Prince A. McNally | Pre-K

Pre-K


It was fall
in Brooklyn,
when the beautiful
weather of September
and I were strolling
beneath low-hanging trees,
walking hand-in-hand,
with the Autumn breeze. 

I closed my eyes
to breathe,
slowly inhaling
the intoxicating
laughter
of little children,
joyfully skipping
as they happily
headed off to  
their first day
of  Pre-K,

Taking baby steps
towards their futures
like little birdies,
so eager to fly away
with their precious
little dreams. 

Watching them leave
their mother's nest
for the very first time,
I couldn't help
but smile inside
as their precious
little wings
fluttered nervously
beneath
their clothing. 

____________________________________________

Prince A. McNally is a Brooklyn-born poet, writer, philosopher, activist, and spoken word artist. His work focuses primarily on the human condition and social injustice. A rising voice on the NYC poetry scene, Prince has been featured at Otto's Shrunken Head for Show Do Tell, KGB Red Room for the NeuroNautic Institute, The Parkside Lounge for Great Weather for Media, and Lady Stardust for Rick Eckerle, among other venues. His poems have appeared in TUCK Magazine, The Blue Mountain Review, Leaves of Ink, Creative Talents Unleashed (Featured Writer), and in the anthologies Fire and Ice: An Anthology of Collaborations, The World Poets Open Mic: 2016 Anthology, BEAT-itude: National Beat Poetry Festival 10 Year Anthology, and We Are BEAT: National Beat Poetry Foundation Anthology. He is currently working on his first collection of poetry.

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations, quite poignant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Mystery person,who ever you are! 😉

      Delete
  3. Prince, I loved this! You captured the anticipation of those eager little faces and reminded me of my own experience of my daughters leaving. Beautiful images and word play in this piece! Congratulations and so happy people can read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much,Barbara. This is a poem I've always treasured, and I've always been so very proud of,because it allowed me to explore the broader depths of my pen. I can't tell you how thrilled I am, that it finally has a home.❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!!! So happy to have come across you!! You work is outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janie, thank you so much for taking the time to not only read my little poem, but for the wonderful feedback as well. I am truly humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I journeyed through the scene. Nice piece.

    These lines sum up Pre-K:

    "as their precious
    little wings
    fluttered nervously
    beneath
    their clothing" --so cute.

    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Liza for reading as well as your comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.The last line truly resonated with me as well 😊

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments,Johana! I'm so thrilled you enjoyed it 😊

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely write and it makes me feel like I'm back in Brooklyn strolling the Promenade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prince, my friend, you have captured the feeling of autumn in NY perfectly and you have also given us the feelings of joy and excitement as these little ones go into the world for the first time. I love so much about this and it should be honored! Congratulations! Or Mazel Tov!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Babs, I am truly humbled by your joy and praise for this poem; it holds a very special place in my heart as well. :)

      Delete